UK Accommodation

One of the most important decisions you will make regarding your time studying in the UK is where to live. Where you live is not only a place to sleep, store your belongings and study, but also acts as your home away from home. You may choose to live in this accommodation for several years so it is important to think about where you will be happy. Your UKEAS counsellor can discuss with you what your options are for more information about the types of accommodation please see our guide below.


Private Residential Accommodation

Private rental accommodation has become very popular with students over the past few years. This type of accommodation is often very modern with good services and in convenient locations. It is easy to get to the university, to attend lectures and access university facilities. Many students studying in the UK have chosen to live in private accommodation. Here are the reasons why:

  • The private rental sector and universities have been teaming up to provide more choices for students.
  • Applying for university accommodation usually takes several weeks, and it can be difficult for universities to guarantee that students will be allocated his/her first choice of accommodation.
  • Usually students can receive a confirmation of accommodation within 24 hours of booking when applying to a private provider.

UKEAS understands that there are many advantages for students to book with a private accommodation company, which is why we have provided a list of our preferred partners below.

  • Casita Student Accommdation

    Casita Student Accommdation

    At UKEAS we highly recommend Casita Student Accommodation. Casita makes booking your university home quick and simple. You can search by either city or university, once you have found a room you are interested in you can book via the website or contact your counsellor. Casita customer support will be in touch the same day to get more information from you and the application process can be completed within a couple of hours. Casita’s service is 100% free and they are there to help you have a better study experience. Casita has over 600 student accommodation buildings totalling 150,000 rooms across the UK.

    • No booking fees
    • Bills all inclusive
    • Post arrival support
    • Instalment plans available
    • Short term tenancies available

    Contact your counsellor or follow this link to book your room today

  • Accommdation Accommdation is another excellent service. They have a 24-hour booking service available in multiple languages which offers excellent support. Their website gives you the power to explore and compare a variety of rooms across different neighbourhoods so that you can make the right choice. They believe that choosing the right home provides a safe and inspiring foundation. To book a room you fill out the booking request form, a booking expert from will contact you to begin the process of booking an accommodation.

    • 24/7 Service from team of expert booking advisers
    • No booking fees
    • Bills all inclusive
    • Post arrival support including optional bedding and cook wear available
    • Short term tenancies available

    Contact your counsellor or follow this link to book your room today

  • Mansion Accommodation
    Mansion provide a range of student accommodation in different cities, including Bristol, Durham, Leeds, Manchester, Newcastle, Nottingham and Sheffield.

University Residential Accommodation

Most UK universities offer student accommodation, but these can vary depending how they are maintained. Some residences are very new and modern, whereas others that were built some time ago can be old and well used. The university will often separate undergraduate students and postgraduate students so that they are living in different residences however students may have to share. Men and women usually live in the same residence as well, although sometimes there are female only residences.
As soon as you have made your final decision on where to study, you should start making decisions on accommodation. This is because many universities cannot guarantee on campus accommodation for all their students (although International students usually receive priority). Those that can, will only guarantee the accommodation if you have already applied before the deadline. Applying for student accommodation can be quite confusing due to the many choices available, but this is something that your UKEAS counsellor will be able to assist you with. University websites contain a lot of useful information for you to research and find the kind of accommodation you like as well. Note however, that very few universities have houses and flats for families or married couples and these are usually quite difficult to obtain on campus.
A university residence will normally consist of a room that will include a single or double bed, a wardrobe, some storage space and a desk with a light. If you have an en-suite room then you will have your own bathroom, a ‘standard room’ could have a bathroom that is shared with other students living on the same floor or in the same flat. It is common to provide the bedding and other necessities yourself, although some residences do offer such packages for purchase.
University residences offer communal areas, such as a kitchen or dining area, where you can socialize with other flatmates. Kitchens will all have major household appliances like an oven, fridge and kettle, etc. Most universities also have canteens, student bars and cafes where you can eat, study or socialise.
For undergraduate students, living in a residence is the best way to mix with other people and make new friends. This can make life settling into a new environment much easier. For postgraduate or more mature students, living in a residence can be very convenient, but you will need to consider factors like privacy and noise. This is something that your UKEAS counsellors will be able to advise you on.

Many students who are taking an English language course, either at a university or private language centre have access to this type of accommodation. Students often find it very helpful to live in on-campus accommodation has it allows them to practice their English not only in class but also at home with their peers as well as other students.


Most students who study in a language school or take a pre-university course will choose to live in a homestay. That is, students will live with families who agree to host international students. The average family will provide students with meals based on their choices-for example, three meals a day, or two meals in the morning and evening. All host families working with language schools or colleges must be reviewed by the school to ensure that they are good families. Students staying in homestay families can usually choose a single room or share a room with another student of a different nationality.
University students who must leave their dorms during the long summer vacation can also choose to live in a homestay during the summer.
Please remember to inform your counsellor, for example, if you have any food allergies or special food preferences. Your counsellor can help you choose a host family that meets your needs, no matter what your needs are.

Homestays are also a popular option for students studying at a private school in the UK. It allows for students to have all the benefits of an education in the UK as well as the comforts of staying in a regular home. Many students make long lasting connections with their host families that can lead to lifelong friendships.

Off-campus rent

Sometimes students prefer to live in private rental housing off campus. The accommodation office at the university may be able to provide advice and help you find a rentable house. If you are already in the UK, you can also look at the advertisements posted in local newspapers. There are also many websites with information about what is available and that can give you an idea of the cost. It is very difficult to arrange a rental in the UK from outside the UK, because you need to go there to see the house in person.
International students should be cautious when renting private premises to determine what their legal obligations and rents are, what other furniture will be included in the lease and all other parts of the lease. If possible, it is better to bring a British friend to help you or ask the school for help.

Student Testimonials

Benita Ugeh-Ifedi at Coventry University

Contact us

Actions speak louder than words,
UKEAS counselling is free!

By continuing to use this site, you agree to the use of cookies. Click here for our full privacy policy